Members of the Norwegian men's national team are coming to the Bay Area—and they want to curl with you! Fresh from their European Championship win, Christoffer Svæ, Thomas Løvold, and Markus Høiberg will be featured at the Norway Day festival in Fort Mason April 30th and May 1st, 2011.
They'll be visiting our home ice Friday April 29th for an all-star exhibition game, a Learn-to-Curl for the public, and a jumbo-sized game for local club members. Representing the U.S. will be Paralympian (and Wine Country's very own!) Patrick McDonald.
Norway Day Festival
Celebrated every year in San Francisco, the Norway Day Festival is the largest and most prestigious festival of its kind in the United States. This year they'll be featuring the team that took home the Olympic silver medal, won the European championships, and made curling famous for those crazy pants. We'll be holding two modified Learn-to-Curls a day on synthetic "ice" at the festival, running a rink-side booth, and co-hosting a very special members-only event inviting you to meet the team. You can join us in several ways:
- Come to the festival! In addition to a Loudmouth Golf (makers of the pants) fashion show and team autograph signing, there will be family-friendly activities, Norwegian music, acrobatic dancing, traditional Norwegian food, and plenty of Aquavit flowing at the bar. Buy your tickets now at NorwayDay.org ($1 off online).
- VIP Happy Hour for curlers is included with entry—just wear your club name tag for admittance. (Wine Country & other curling club members welcome!) This meet n' greet with the team is organized by the festival just for our curling community, Norwegian beer on hand, of course. The event will be rink-side 3:00-3:45 on Saturday and 4:00-4:45 on Sunday.
- The festival raffle grand prize is a trip for two to Norway and other prizes have been donated by Loudmouth and the team. Their club is not for profit as well, so let's show them that curlers know how to support a good raffle. Tickets are $2 and can be purchased at the festival or online.
The Norway Day Festival has been extremely supportive of our club, so please support them! If you can't come to the festival yourself, "like" them on Facebook and tell your friends.
SFBACC events on 4/29
The team is excited to join us at the Oakland Ice Center for a very special night of curling. The night will consist of three events:
- 6:00-7:30pm - Member Game: Curl with or against Pat, Christoffer, Thomas or Markus in one epic, jumbo-sized game. We'll create 12-person teams with each member playing one full end. Members of all skill levels welcome. Register here »
- 7:00-8:45 - Public Learn-to-Curl: In this modified format we'll teach strategy and basic technique, and give brand new curlers an opportunity to throw a few rocks with the team. Former Learn-to-Curl participants are welcome. Register here »
- 9:00-10:00 - All-Star Exhibition Game: Come cheer on our SFBACC all-star team as they take on the Norwegians! Volunteers will be in the stands to explain the game and answer questions. This may be the most elite game played on California ice all year—definitely not to be missed.
THE PANTS from Loudmouth Golf
Yes, you can buy the pants! Team sponsors Loudmouth Golf will have a booth both in Oakland on Friday and at the festival over the weekend, allowing you to buy the pants, jackets and other paraphernalia in a variety of colors—all in the now-famous, super-sexy argyle pattern. If you can't come to either event, we'll soon post a promo code here that allows you to purchase the pants online. A portion of the proceeds will benefit both Norway Day and SFBACC.
And they're now our team sponsors too: Loudmouth has generously outfitted our men's and women's PIC teams for the upcoming Golden Gate Bonspiel. Thanks, Loudmouth!
We do need volunteers to help everything run smoothly and share the curling love with the thousands of festival attendees. If you'd like to help, email Chris DeLauder at email@example.com.
Chris Delauder (firstname.lastname@example.org) is able to answer all your questions about the weekend. Thanks, Chris!
This is a fabulous opportunity to promote curling in the Bay Area and beyond. The team is flying to the U.S. just for this event and will be spending several days talking up curling at the festival, to local media, and beyond. Get ready to fill a few more Learn-to-Curls and welcome a new wave of members to our club!
We extend a special THANKS to the Norway Day Festival for being such fans of curling and so willing to welcome our club to their event.